|Helen and I at our garden with bags and bags of harvested potatoes 🙂|
I knew I wanted a raised garden bed (our soil isn’t that great at drainage, so raising it helps, plus I thought it might help keep rabbits out), but that was all I knew. I looked up some options online, but I definitely wasn’t set on anything. My parents brought a bunch of bricks with them that were from my grandpa’s (on my dad’s side) jewelry store that I had the option of using (free materials, woo!). I wasn’t sure how using bricks would turn out, but I decided to go ahead and give it a try.
We started by going to Menards to buy a bunch of dirt. Since we were raising up the garden slightly (we decided to do about 4-5 inches above the ground), we would need a decent amount of dirt. We ended up getting 20 bags of black dirt (!) along with two bags of sand to mix in. I also picked out several vegetable plants to buy, and bought some packets of seeds.
Once we had all of the materials, putting the garden in went pretty quickly. The hardest part was digging up the grass where the garden would go, but even that wasn’t too bad. Once the bricks and soil were in place, I planted all of my vegetables, and my mom planted a bunch of flower seeds in the front (I hope they grow!).
|View of the garden from the garage.|
|Close up of the garden|
There were several extra plants that wouldn’t fit in the main part of the garden, so my dad decided to plant an “overflow garden.” He thought it would be an interesting experiment to see if spending $30 on soil and putting the work into elevating the garden would improve the outcome of the plants. We will see. 🙂
|Overflow garden–even if the plants grow well, it’s just not as pretty as the main garden 🙂|
Since I took most of yesterday off to get the garden in place, I have a lot of work to do today to study for finals! I have a statistics final tomorrow evening, and my robotics final on Wednesday evening. After that, another semester will officially be over. 🙂 Have a great week, everyone!